Friday, May 2, 2014

Enlightenment On A Spring


My niece and nephew got me a great gift for my birthday.  It was a stick-on statue of a smiling Buddha, kind of like a bobblehead, for my car.  The box was labeled “Enlightenment on a Spring”.  They know I drive a lot for my commute and they knew it would make me smile.  Now every time I look down to shift gears, etc. I see a smiling fat Buddha bobblehead looking up at me.  It’s hard to be angry, even in the horrible Austin traffic.

It’s amazing how much one thing can change your perspective.  Opra Winfrey a while back promoted vision boards.  A display of photos or pictures that represented what you wanted to incorporate into your life (fun, money, family time, peace, etc.).  The idea being the more you looked at it, the more likely we would feel invested to make it come true.  Or, remember the little starfish is the movie Nemo.  Anytime something stressful happened, she'd say she was "going to her happy place" meaning she was visualizing something better.  The same concept as my Buddha toy, what we see effects how we feel and act.  

With this in mind, do you have a vision of what you’d like more of in your life?  Maybe a positive change you'd like to make in your future?  Do you want to jump start your career?  Do you want to make peace with your family?  Do you want more organization in your life?    Is there a picture or scene that would help remind you of that?  Remember, what we see effects how we feel and the choices we make.   If nothing else, if you travel in heavy traffic, I highly recommend a fun bobblehead.

2 comments:

  1. When I was growing up, our family car was an old one with a metal dashboard. We always kept a magnetized, “Plastic Jesus” on the dashboard, because my mother believed the statue would keep us safe when we were motoring around. Although I’m not sure how convinced I was at the time, that the statue would keep us safe, looking at it always had a calming effect on me…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, when look back on how we used to sit 6 kids in a back seat, with no seat belts, no air bags, etc. we probably needed spiritual intervention to keep us safe! :-) Glad your family's dashboard icon was calming for you!

    ReplyDelete