Friday, March 7, 2014

This therapist doesn't live in Utopia

I was shocked when one of my clients said "You use your own tools?".  Well, yes I do.  Why would I provide tools that I don't believe in?  How would I know they are helpful if I don't use them myself?  Hence the beginning of  this blogging journey.  I thought it might be helpful (funny if nothing else) to show how I see positive thinking, creative problem solving, and mindfulness being used in my life or the lives of my clients. 

I think sometimes we think of therapist kind of like children think of their school teachers.  (I remember my son being surprised when he saw his teacher having margaritas at our local Mexican restaurant with some friends.).  I think sometimes there is a perception that somehow therapist live in some peaceful, Utopian reality where we sit around meditating and we don't bounce checks, spill coffee on ourselves or yell at traffic jams.  I'm here to burst that bubble, at least for this therapist.  But I want this blog to be a place of encouragement too. 

In the midst of my own chaos, I often find ways to combat stress and live with purpose and meaning.  If you want to learn more about me you can visit my website at www.coopercounselingpractice.com. Thanks for visiting my blog and hope the stories, antidotes, and experiences I write about can be a source of support to you!

2 comments:

  1. Cool Blog Keri... I'm unabashedly taking credit as the one who said, " You use your own tools?" Not only do I remember saying it, but I also remember being surprised when you said you did...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you should - you're exactly right! I hope the blog is fun and helpful. If I only had more time to write........... :-)

    ReplyDelete